Thursday, September 13, 2012

My transition from a corporate career to public service

I cannot pinpoint the exact time but somewhere along my six year long investment banking career, I stopped enjoying my work. I had a recurring feeling that I wanted to be part of something that was bigger than myself. I wanted my work to have a more direct impact on the society. After much thought and introspection, I decided to pursue a career in public service.

My friends were confounded by my feelings. They could not understand why I wanted to leave my well paying job and work in a field with significantly low pay grade. However, not everyone is motivated by financial rewards. As I recently read in my Organizational Behavior class, there are people who are motivated by public service, i.e. some people feel rewarded by serving the people. I believe I am one of those and glad I chose a career in public administration.   

8 comments:

  1. I feel the same way you do about public service. I was originally going to attend law school, but instead I took a year off. In that year, I questioned why I wanted to be an attorney and the answer I arrived at was I wanted to help people. I decided to enroll in the MPA program soon after this realization.

    At the end of the day, people like you who have the drive for serving the public are part of the reason why I am so pleased with the MPA program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting this internship! From your first couple of posts it seems that because of your passion for service, you will do great. From what I've learned in the MPA program and what I have seen first hand with my internship, your financial background with probably end up being very beneficial to your work in the public sector. In today's world public/private partnerships are a growing trend and an important way for public organizations to budget effectively and maintain growth and development.

    I look forward to reading more about your experiences with the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noor I too was on the private side in the corporate world and was looking for a change. I was in a high service oriented retail management environment before going into public service. Its best to learn as much as you can about public service positions and opportunities to help decide which way to go. Me personally I like all the changes I see going on in local government because of of many retirements, etc. This is opening many opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never worked for the private sector, but I have had a few friends who share almost similar experiences as you. Although, they realized they did not like what they were doing in the middle of their career advancement and they built a lifestyle based on the great salary they were making, so changing career fields would not be so easy. SO for now, they are unhappy with their work, but they continue to stay in that field. I hope that you will be able to find gainful employment in this field that is fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always known that I would not be the kind of person to be motivated by the bottom line, which inevitably drives the private sector. On the contrary, I am motivated by the difference I make in peoples lives and the gratification I receive from my collaborative efforts.

    I too have worked in the financial industry and when compared to my public service experience, it is easy to accept a lower income over all of the invaluable experiences I have acquired working in public service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an inspiring post and perhaps one that all incoming public service grad applicants should understand before they throw their hat in. I was en route to have a business oriented career in the private sector but changed course when I came to the revelation that I would not find fulfillment in what passes for ethical behavior in business. To walk away from an already established career, however, takes an intestinal fortitude that is honorably resolute. I commend you and, of course, wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is great to hear about personal stories such as this one. I hope to be able to make a decision like that should I get into a job and it not be something I truly enjoy. Great work and you are an inspiration especially for and undergraduate student such as myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing you feel good rewarding and serving the people. Everything isnt about money. Good thing you followed your heart. No one wants to hate their job nobody how the pay is. You wanna do something you love and will be happy doing.

    ReplyDelete