Recently,
I took the Organizational Behavior class as part the MPA curriculum. Among
other things we discussed about the level of friendliness with colleagues that
would be appropriate. As expected there is no right answer. This made me think
about my interactions with colleagues at work. What is the most appropriate
conduct in a public organization? In my opinion it is hard to strike such
balance because one wants to come across as friendly yet professional.
I
thought that I could be my casual self with the other intern while conducting
myself professionally in front of my team. Big mistake! I did not realize how
the other intern’s opinion of me influenced my image in front of his team. I
think that one’s image is particularly very important in a public organization.
You should be friendly but always conduct yourself professionally regardless of
the title of the people you are interacting with.
No comments:
Post a Comment