While
attending the Arizona State Legislature Career Fair at Tempe campus I had the
opportunity learn about many interesting departments/agencies. In particular,
the Arizona Ombudsman agency stood out for me. I instantly connected with the
agency representative from the department. Learning about the Ombudsman was
definitely the highlight of my visit to the career fair.
According
to the Arizona Ombudsman website, the agency helps people who are having a
problem with an Arizona state government agency or a public access dispute with
a state or local governmental agency. The assistance is provided to citizens by
discussing their rights, options and procedures that may already be in place to
resolve the problem. Further, the Ombudsman works with agencies on a citizen’s
behalf to find a solution that is fair and appropriate. Thus, the Ombudsman is
a liaison between citizens and state agencies providing checks for state
conduct and ensuring an amiable and trusting relationship between public and
state.
I have never heard of such an agency! It is great that there are safeguards in place for citizens. I completely agree in an agency that helps keep the checks and balances on an even playing field.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand it must be diffuclt to be labeled a whistle blower agency. It would be interesting to see the relationship dynamics it has with other state agencies. Are they feared? Respected? Or seen as annoying?